Friday, March 16, 2012

Shin Splints.

I don't know what shin splints are really, because this is the first time in my life that I've honestly ever done something to create shin splints.  But lately, when I've been doing my run, my legs have been hurting.  A lot.  My ankles get so cramped up that I almost can't even bend them enough to run, and there is a sharp pain that runs up my leg to about my knees.  I've always had issues with my hips hurting (I tend to credit that to working on my feet for at least the last 10 years and always wearing bad shoes), so the fact that my hips also hurt isn't a big deal because I'm kind of used to it.

 But my legs.....ugh.  At the end of week 1, I was okay. I took 3 days off between week 1 and 2, and I had the best run ever after those 3 days.  Then, day 2 and 3 hurt my legs so bad, especially the last day. I am nervous to start week 3, because I don't want it to hurt as bad as it did, especially since I have started a new job, and am working 40 hours a week again. 

The weather has been so nice out lately.  It's unusually warm for March in Michigan.  It's been averaging about 68 degrees the last few days.  I LOVE IT.  I love having my windows open, and having fresh air in the apartment again.  It also really makes me want to start running outside.  If I'm going to run the 5K in May that I am planning on running, then I need to start running outside.  I am working on finding a nice spot, I just wish I had a running partner to go with me to check out some places. 


Recently, we had a house kind of fall in our lap.  My boss at work was selling her house, and I went and looked at it and fell in love.  It was only $49,900, which is totally affordable for us (it would end up being about $400 less per month than we pay now for our apartment!) and it was ADORABLE.  They have updated the whole thing, so even though it's an old, small house, it's really nice.  Unfortunately, due to some issues, we won't be able to take out a mortgage loan for another year or so, and they ended up selling their house to someone else.  :(  I'm really sad, because as I said, I fell in love with that house, but it helped us see when we will be able to start looking for a house, and what we are looking for in a house. 

I just really can't wait until we don't have to live in an apartment anymore!

2 comments:

  1. When you are warming up, walk on your heels. It helps with shin splints. I'm a new runner too. A local running store was offering a running program that started in January and that is one of the first things that they taught us! I've never had problems with shin splints, but my friend does. She said that the long compression socks help a lot also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, to receive relief for them, ice for 20 minutes asap after a workout. I suffered with shin splints from high school sports, then when I started running again, the shin splints came back. During your warmup , you can also try stretching your calves really well, it helps. On a side note, the princess is an amazing race! You will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete