Friday, March 30, 2012

W4D1.

I was NOT looking forward to today.  Last night, I knew I was gonna run, but until about 10pm, I thought I'd just do w3d3 another time, because I was having a hard time running for 3 minutes.  I got an email from my cousin, with information about the 5k race I plan on running in May.  It's on May 19, and after looking into it a bit more, I realized that the 5k is 6 weeks from Saturday.  If I keep doing weeks over, I dont think that I'd be ready for the 5k, especially if I have yet to run on anything but a treadmill.

So, I decided that I'd give week 4 a try, and instead of going on the treadmill again, I'd go to the YMCA and run on the indoor track that they have.  This was going to be the first time since I've been running that I'd run on something other than the treadmill.  Because of that, and because week 4 is much harder (and from what I've heard, it's hard to go from week 3 to week 4), I was prepared to not be able to finish todays workout. 

For those of you that don't know, Week 4 consists of this:

5 Minute Warm Up
Jog 3 Minutes
Walk 90 Seconds
Jog 5 Minutes
Walk 2.5 Minutes
Jog 3 Minutes
Walk 90 Seconds
Jog 5 Minutes
5 Minute Cool Down
Total Workout: 31:30.

I totally stalled this morning.  I got up, got dressed, decided to go on the computer for a minute, spent some time with stella (the cat, who has hated me ever since we got our puppy), checked the mail. Then I drove to the YMCA, and finished listening to a song, went inside, walked around a little, until finally I decided to just go to the track and get it done.  

I'd never been on the track at the YMCA, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  It was above the gym, so that was kinda neat.  There was no one else in the gym, or on the track when I got there, so I was happy about that. I decided to listen to my Disney Pandora Station, because I figured that would help me remember that the whole reason I'm doing this, is because I want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I started the work out.  Got through the warm up, and first 3 minute walk, no problem.  I was totally nervous about running for 5 minutes, but next thing I know, I made it through 5 minutes! I was so proud!  I think that having the phone in my hand, instead of watching the time go by as i run on the treadmill. 

So I kept running.  And walking, and then running.  And before I knew it, I was done. I finished the entire thing!  AND I finished it on the treadmill!  I was so extremely proud. It's been such a long time since I've done something that I've been that proud of myself.  It was an amazing feeling to have been able to finish the whole thing. 

On another note, I have gotten a few new readers, so hello to everyone!  Now that I have more people reading, I will try to update more!  :)

8 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO!! Reading this makes me so happy! Congrats on finishing W4D1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was hard, but it almost seemed easier running on the track than it did running on a treadmill. :)

      Delete
  2. Doesn't it feel great to finish! I have a hard time watching the clock on the treadmill too. I do much better if I just listen for the prompts on my phone. I've had to redo a few days on the plan too. I think keeping moving through the days works and you can accomplish more than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT JOB! I do think running on a track is much easier than a treadmill. One of the reasons I joined my gym was because of the track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job. I am a new runner too. Started with C25K as well. Finished it about 2 weeks ago. I am now up to running (slowly) 3 miles. My first 5K is May 5th. I'm scared but so excited. Keep up the good work!!! You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! I am not running at all and so I envy all you runners! You're going to rock the Princess Half in 2013 with the rest of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I was so proud of myself! I am running a 5k on May 19, and am determined to do well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job working through today! Couch to 5k is a killer program.

    But I must say its awesome that you've signed up for a race that's always my biggest motivator. I just feel like if I skip 1 day of training I could have taken a min of my race time! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete