Friday, November 2, 2012

Make Ahead Steel Cut Oats!

A couple of days ago, Cody and I were driving around, because we haven't really explored the area around our house.  As we were driving, we found a cute little Amish store.  We love grocery stores, so we went in to see what they had, and we fell in love. They have so much cool stuff!  While we were there, we bought a pack of steel cut oats.  They are something that I've been reading about a lot, and I know how good they are for you. Since I have a new found love of oatmeal, I thought I'd give these a try as well.  I know they take a while to cook, so I found a recipe for Make Ahead Steel Cut Oats.

The recipe was super easy.  All you need is:

2 Cups water
2 Cups Almond Milk
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
2 Bananas, mashed
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
2-3 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Chia Seeds (The recipe called for 1 Tbsp of Flax Seed too, but I didn't have any)




First, you combine the water and the Almond Milk to a boil.
Then, you add the steel cut oats, and a pinch of salt, and reduce the heat to low.  Then you add the Chia seeds and mashed bananas.

Let it cook on low for about 20-25 minutes.  Then, add the cinnamon and vanilla extract.
You can eat it then, but I made it at night so I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, to help the oats soften, and the flavors develop. 

When I got up this morning, I got a bowl of it. I decided to eat it just as it is.  I read that you can add all kinds of stuff to it, just like regular oatmeal, but I wanted to see what the flavor was like just as the recipe says.  And it was very yummy!
I'm going to play around with the recipe a little bit, and I will let you know when I find something delicious!!



3 comments: