Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Camping Adventures

I'm tired, smell like a campfire, and have eating nothing but crap, but we are home from camping and had a great time!

I never camped a lot as a kid (I think we went once or twice, but nothing that I really remember) and Cody grew up camping, so I am always really excited when we get to go.  For Christmas, we got a tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, hobo pie makers, etc., so we could go camping, but we ended up staying in a camper.  Cody's mom reserves a campsite at a really pretty campground up north, about an hour away from our house, and they keep their camper up there.  We decided just to stay in their camper instead of trying to set up the tent and all that stuff.  Plus, since I'm a new camper, I really like electricity, so it's taking some time for me to get used to the outdoor living.  They've had the same campsite for the last 10 years, so they're able to leave all their stuff up there, and they've made it like a home away from home.  They have a little garden, flowers, hanging baskets, a flag, a swinging chair, kayaks, a fishing boat....basically anything you'd need to feel nice and at home at a campground! 

Our view of the water!
We got there kinda early on Monday, just because we wanted to have a full day.  We decided to bring Remy, and we were a little nervous, just because we weren't sure how she'd do completely out of her element, but she did great the whole day.  We got all of our stuff unpacked, and just kind of sat around for a while and enjoy the outside. 
Cody and Remy hanging out in the Hammock

We decided we were hungry, and headed up to this amazing little restaurant that is right next to the campground.  The food is soooo good. Everything is made from scratch, the portions are huge, they have just about everything you'd want, and they're reasonably priced.  Since we were leaving Remy in her crate inside the camper, and I didn't want to leave her for too long, we got our food to go.  I ordered a chicken burrito, Cody ordered a steak burrito, and we got chips and salsa to split.  Everything was soooo good!  

After we ate, we decided to go fishing.  The fishing boat, as you can see in the first picture, is fairly small, and if we hadn't been out fishing in it last summer, I would think that Cody and I would be too heavy to fish in it without it sinking.  We had a great time fishing, we caught about 5 or 6 fish each (we threw them all back!) and headed back as it was starting to get windy. 



 We were pretty tired, so we decided to just start a fire and relax for a bit.  Thank goodness Cody can build a fire, because I tried this morning and wasn't having any luck!


While we were hanging out by the fire, the redneck neighbors who were one campsite over, decided to start smoking weed! Now, I'm not against people who smoke.  I don't do it, but I have friends that do, and, well, whatever I guess.  To each his own.  HOWEVER....these people had two kids, one who was probably about 14, and one who was about 2 or 3.  We're thinking they probably live full time in the camper (which was tiny, tiny, by the way).  The dad (who was much older than the mother), had something wrong with his leg, and although he could walk, was in a wheelchair most of the time.  I think he must have medicinal marijuana because of it, I guess I think it was just a bit rude to smoke it when you're surrounded by other campers, and your young children!  

We sat by the fire for the rest of the night, just enjoying the ourdoors, each other, and the sunset....

And at some point, Remy decided she liked beer.....
Don't worry, she didn't drink any, she just got hold of the bottle!

We woke up this morning around 8am, and after about 3 or 4 tries, I was able to make an actual pot of coffee (I'm not good with outside living, I'm telling you!) and we made another fire and sat by the fire and enjoyed the quiet, before getting ready to go.  We were home by 11am, and just spent the rest of the day doing random errands - getting both animals their flea meds, buying Remy a bigger crate, grocery shopping, laundry, etc.  And now, we're sitting here, watching a movie, but all I can think of is how great my bed is going to feel, and how I can't wait to go to the gym and get my second workout in!  

Goodnight everyone!

PS....there's still time to enter my giveaway! DO IT!

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I got camping stuff this year for Christmas too! We went camping in January, for his birthday with some friends of ours. We started planning the trip early in December, so we already had the camp site picked, but since we live in Florida, the weather is totally unpredictable. Well it was the coldest two days of the entire season!!! When we got there the weather was about 40Degrees, and the boys went swimming in the springs!!!! Afterwards, we lit a fire, and sat around it for a long time. It was supposed to get so cold that night, that the park ranger came around and made sure we were ok and to warn us.

    That night it got down to 10 degrees (which in FL, is a HUGE deal!) We were sooooo cold the next morning, because the fire wasn't burning as well. Anyway, long story short, we had a great time, and even though it was cold, it was fun! If you go tent camping, it is much more fun to go with another couple, and share the food making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love camping but I have not been in years! We used to go all the time as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love camping but Scott and I both have parents who own campers so I can't tell you the last time I slept in a tent. It's still nice to get back to nature and spend quality time together with the ones you love. I love all the photos, it looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete