Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Struggles.

I don't know if anyone else here has the same types of struggles that I do, but I have been thinking a lot lately about why I am having a hard time staying motivated, and to continue my path to being healthy.  I hate using that term, "being healthy", because in all actuality, I am healthy.  I don't have high blood pressure, I don't have issues with my blood sugar, or anything.  I have a body that is completely healthy, except for the fact that there is way too much fat on my bones.  I have always told myself that, because I am healthy, my body must not mind having the fat on it. It must be comfortable being this size, and I could continue the way I am.  I know that eventually, it will catch up to me.  Heart disease runs in both sides of my family, and I know that it will show up in my life one day.  Because that is a terrifying thought, that's why I am doing what I am doing.

But once again, why am I finding it so hard to keep motivated?  And then it dawned on me.

I like to eat.
I like eating pizza for breakfast.
I like eating entire boxes of Mac and Cheese.
I like Appetizers, Entrees, and Desserts at restaurants.
I like to eat big, buttery buckets of popcorn.
I like Diet Coke.
I like eating chips, even if it's the whole bag, while watching tv.
I like eating, what I want, when I want, without thinking of the calories, or how it's going to screw up the rest of my day.
I like looking at a restaurant menu like it's my own personal wish list, and getting to order anything that I want.
 I like being able to go down every aisle at the grocery store, without worry that I'll buy something that will lead to a binge.  Because I really don't mind binges. I like to "snack".

It's these things that are making it difficult for me to stay motivated.  But there are also a lot of things that I don't like.

I don't like the way I look.
I don't like feeling weighed down all the time.
I don't like that I have to hold my breath to tie my shoes.
I don't like that I can't cross my legs at the movie theater.
I don't like that I always feel like my husband wishes I was just a bit prettier/skinnier/sexier, even though he constantly tells me that I'm all those things.
I  don't like feeling judged by my family, friends, and strangers.
I don't like going shopping, unless it's for perfume or jewelery - things that don't require a size.
I don't like going shopping because it means hoping and praying that the largest size will fit me.
I don't like going to the mall, because there's only one or two stores that I can actually shop at.
I don't like getting dressed in the morning, because it is a constant battle of finding something that fits AND looks good.
I don't like constantly feeling like I am not as good as other people, only because I am double their size.
I don't like feeling trapped in my body.

I have to figure out a way to continue to do the things I like, while fixing the things I don't.  I really think that eventually, I will be able to ignore my "like" of binging, or large amounts of food, and crave the good things. I want my mind to ignore the want to binge, and instead go to the gym.



I'll get there, eventually.  But it will be a struggle the whole way.



6 comments:

  1. It's a constant struggle for me as well and I'm sure most people trying to lose weight feel that same way. My biggest worry is that it will always be a struggle, even when I hit my goal weight. We can only hope that one day it becomes easier and things will fall into place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first list is exactly what I would have written! This all will probably always be a constant struggle and battle. Some days are easier than others and hopefully someday it will be easier in general. We just have to not give up on our selves and work hard towards what we want and what we need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of us struggle with those same issues Karen, you are not alone :-). You just need to keep reminding yourself that the struggle will be worth it. When you reach your goal you can look in the mirror and know that it was through your hard work and determination that you got there! I would print off List 2 and put it on my fridge - that way it's staring me in the face every time I open the fridge door! I did this with an awful picture of myself at my heaviest weight (the pic was in a swimsuit too! ugh, I hate to even think about it!) - anyway I put it right on the fridge door, so every time I went to get a snack it was right there reminding me both of how far I'd come and that I didn't want to go back there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I've tagged you in an entry on my blog:

    http://walks-in-the-woods.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/liebster-award.html

    Please don't feel obligated to do it - but I thought it was fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU CAN DO IT!

    I also tagged you in my post:

    http://www.goaloflosing.com/2012/07/goaloflosing-award-winning-blog.html

    Didn't realize that Mary had already tagged you! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of your I likeS" and your " I don't likes" are very similar to mine. You can do it!!

    When you get to your goal wight, it will all be worth it and you will look back and be so proud of yourself! Good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete