Monday, May 21, 2012

Decisions, Decisions....

Well first of all, let me start out by saying, I had my weigh in again today....down another 3 lbs! yay me! I am pretty sure, as I said before, that my scale is a liar though, because I weighed myself on Saturday at my moms house on her scale, and it said 249, so I think we need a new scale.  Either way, yay for 3lbs!

Okay, so my decisions....remember how I had that interview, and I said it went great? Well, I had sent out a thank you email a few days ago, and got a reply last night from the District Manager, Ryan.  He basically said in the email that the GM had nothing but good things to say about me and that he thinks I'll be a great addition and would have a lot to add to the team, and Ryan thinks this also.  When I worked there before, I was a server/bartender, plus I was a shift manager, and I was the head trainer (I basically was in charge of the whole training program), so I have done a lot and have a lot of knowledge about the restaurant and how they work.  The problem that Ryan sees, however, is that there are a few people who I worked with who still work there, and he thinks it might be a hard transition for them, from me being kind of like their equal, to have leaving, to coming back as their superior.  His exact words were "We both feel that there are still quite a few team members still employed at [my old restaurant] that may possible make for a more difficult transition from your previous role to a management role.  This is by no means an indictment on you, just a possible concern that we feel could possibly detract from your growth and development as well as any momentum that has currently been achieved with the existing management team and staff."

With that being said, he said that there are some possible changes that are going to be happening, and that there is very likely going to be a position for me at a different restaurant. The only problem is, that restaurant is a 45 minute drive.  The one that I thought I was applying for is only 10 minutes away.  Now, I don't have an issue with driving....but we just bought a house, and it's almost as far away as you can get from the other restaurant, before it would be completely out of the question.  Cody and I figured out, it'd be about $10 a day in gas.  My other concern is weather.  I live in Michigan - and it snows. A lot sometimes.  If the weather is bad, it could take me over an hour to get to work/home.  Not to mention, dangerous.  The only good thing, is that the drive there and back is 100% highway, which makes the drive easy. 

It's such a great opportunity, and I don't want to skip out on it just because it's a long drive.  I don't have much management experience, and while I did go to culinary school and got a Bachelors Degree in Food and Beverage Management, that's often not enough for you to get a job - most restaurants want experience.  This would be the perfect opportunity for me to learn a lot and get the experience under my belt.  Not to mention, I'd get 2 weeks paid vacation, free insurance for me and Cody, and I'd be making about twice as much as I make now.  It seems too good to pass up, but man, I don't want to drive almost an hour every day to and from work! 

What would you do if you were me?

6 comments:

  1. First, congrats on the weight loss. You are doing a great job! Second, I think the distance does add another factor to your decision. Just remember that the highways are usually cleared first when it snows or don't really need much attention since they always have traffic on them. My fiance says that his 30 minute commute is worse when it rains than when it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the increase in pay make up for the additional cost in gas? If it does, I would take the position. If it has the potential to give you the experience you need to further your career and you would break even with the additional gas cost, I think it would be worth it. I had to commute to a job about 8 years ago, and it wasn't really bad at all. I actually liked the drive. It gave me some time with myself to think. And Heather is right about the highways getting cleared first when it snows.

    And congrats on the loss! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the weight! And on the job. Maybe after a few months at the other place, and some training down, maybe you can transfer to the one closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the great weight loss!
    For the job, if you are getting paid more, and it covers the extra travel I would totally do it for the experience. Even if you just do it for a year, then you can use that experience to apply to somewhere closer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the weight loss, you are doing such good work! I don't have much to add on the job situation that everyone hasn't already said. But I imagine that after you spend some times thinking about how you really feel... you will know what to do. Can't wait to hear what you decide :)

    ReplyDelete