Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Half Marathon Training Program

I think that since my mind is no longer focused on my first race, I am now more focused on the Disney 1/2.  I am super worried about it, especially since I still can't run the full 5k, but at least I know that I can finish it.  I think that since I stopped following the c25k plan, my endurance has gone down.  I was able to run for a full 8 minute period, but I don't think that's the case anymore.  So, I think I need to follow some sort of program. 

I also think that if I wait too much longer before I start focusing on the 13.1 mileage, instead of just a 3.1 mileage, I will find myself scrambling to be able to finish a full 13.1, and I won't be able to finish the half marathon once it comes.  I have a scary feeling that my running will become less and less once the winter months hit, and the holidays come around, and since the race is right after that, I don't want to find myself struggling to get back into shape right before I'm leaving for Disney. 

I found this program  that I may follow, because it seems like it starts out slow enough, that I should be able to do it, especially if I start soon. Since the whole letter thing is a bit confusing, I may just type it all out individually day by day, so that I can follow it and rip off the pages of what I've done.  It's a 24 week training program, and if I start now, I should be done in November, which will give me a little bit of time to work on speed, etc.  So I'm going to aim to start on Monday, June 4. 

I can't wait for the Half Marathon!!! Is there anyone else who is planning on running it alone?  My whole family will be down there, and even though my sister said she'd run it with me, I have a feeling I'm going to be running it alone, and thought maybe if there are others who are running it alone, maybe we can plan on meeting up and going to the expo and stuff together!

5 comments:

  1. I'm using the Tower of Terror training program to get myself ready for the 10k and 15k that I plan to do, and I think it will also be a good stepping stone for the Princess Half when that training program comes out. I'll be there but running with some friends...you're welcome to join us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you're so excited! I ran my first half on Sunday (I just recapped it on my blog) and it was AWESOME! There's nothing like that feeling you have at the end of a long run, like, I just did this and no one can take it from me!

    Good luck w/ your training = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope next year I can do some of these races. Money is to tight for me. So that gives me time to get into shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying Hal Higdon for my first marathon. I've heard wonderful things about his training programs. I know that he has several programs for half marathons, based on your running experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am running with some friends, and we are planning on all meeting there for the expo, but you are more than welcome to join us.

    ReplyDelete