Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Attempt #2

I decided to give another try at running today.  I decided that I'm gonna take a bit of a break from the c25k program.  I almost think that starting on the treadmill, and then moving onto the track, is hindering my progression.  I wish I had started outside right away, even though when I started, it was super snowy outside.  I have a 5k in less than a month, and I've only run outside twice now.  I think I'm gonna just do my own thing now, until at least after the 5k and I increase my stamina. 

I downloaded an interval timer, but I set it for farther than I think I can go.  It's weird how different it is, running outside vs. running on an indoor track.  The track basically gives you the most perfect running condition.  The ground is level (except around the corners, which has an incline), there is no wind to deal with, the temperature in the building is always perfect.  When I run outside, I have the wind to deal with, the cold air messes with my lungs, and the ground is uneven, which makes it harder.  So I think until I run the 5k, I'm gonna only run outside (unless it's raining), so I can condition myself to be able to run the race.

So today when I went out, I decided to start with the interval timer, but I didn't like that thing, and decided to just run what I felt like I could.  I also decided, since I had trouble finding a place to run yesterday, that I'd just go on my street.  We live on a dead end, and although it's not the longest road, I figured I'd just run up and down my street.  Boring, yes, but at least it's outside and it will help me figure out distance. I started at my house, and ran as far as I could...which was to the end of the street.  I then walked the other side.  And once I got to the dead end, I ran again, and ran to the end of the street. I did this 5 times.  I know that's not far, but it was about a 25 minute workout total.

 I think I'll try to run again tomorrow, and maybe take Friday off.  I can't keep doing this thing I've been doing, where I run a day, and then take 2 or 3 days off.  That's not helping my progress.  I'm gonna run at least 4 days a week.  I have 3 weeks and 3 days before my race, so I have a lot of work to do in a short period of time. I think as long as I stick to my plan, I should be able to run a good amount of the 5k!

4 comments:

  1. That is one of the main reasons I only run outside...that and I just HATE running on a treadmill. I try and run every other day, so I get in 3-4 days of running a week. If you don't like the interval timer, find an object and tell yourself "Okay, I'm going to run to the 3rd light pole" and run that far, then find another one. Giving yourself landmarks to run to can also help. You'll do great in your 5K :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once I started running on the track, I knew I'd hate running on the treadmill. I figured to make any progress, I needed to start running on ground that didn't move for me, like a treadmill does. Plus, it's boring. :) I tend to spend too much time watching the time on a treadmill! I figure I'll work on being able to run up and down the street, and then I'll see how much further I can get.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you about the Couch to 5K. I started it, and then realized I think I should just be running outside as much as I can for now. I think doing whatever you're comfortable with will work better.
    And running outside is SO much harder. I usually run on a treadmill, and when I ran outside for the first time I thought I was going to die. haha.
    Good luck with your training! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of people who have had success with the c25k program, and I've also heard a lot of people who have said that it progresses too fast. I know I've made some progress, because when I started on the treadmill, running for 60 seconds was very tough, and I was able to run 8 minutes on the track last week. I think I just have to get used to things like, the resistance from the wind, and the uneven ground, and then I'll be able to progress on my own terms, instead of pushing myself too far and not being able to complete it!

      Delete