Tuesday, April 10, 2012

*sigh*

Finally, a minute to sit down and relax!

As I said before, it's been a crazy week.  Between moving/painting/cleaning, and work, and Easter, plus Monday and Tuesday we were up north at a food show for Codys work, it's just been an insane few days.  I am ashamed to say that I haven't run since last Wednesday, but I am going in the morning.  I have a few hours tomorrow that are free before I have to be to work, and we got a ton of painting done today, that I think I'm gonna spend the morning at the gym, and then spend the rest of the day at the apartment trying to clean/pack.

Our Easter was pretty good.  Cody had to work, so that was a bummer, but my parents, sister, and I went to his restaurant for dinner, and it was slow enough by that time that he got to sit and eat with us.  I spent the morning at church, and then my mom and I spend the afternoon at the house, trying to paint and clean.  We are getting so far at getting the house ready.  The kitchen/dining room is SOOO close to being done, just have to figure out how to paint above the cabinets that are above the stove, which is an area that nobody can really reach without painting the ceiling.  We even got the bathroom almost done today, so we are ahead of plan.  Hopefully by next Tuesday, we will have 99% of our stuff moved in, and we will be living there full time!  yay!!

I have a question for all you runners about shoes.  I went and got fitted for some shoes, and the guy basically said that my steps were right on, and that all I needed was shoes that had good support.  My arches are fine, and he didn't see anything else wrong.  I tried on some Brooks, and the size in the wide that I needed they didn't have, so they ordered me some.  The pair that they ordered is $115.  I have also heard good things about Asics. I found a pair of Asics at Meijer (for those of you that don't know what Meijer is, it's like a Walmart, but muuuuch better!) and they were on clearance for $45.  The only problem is, they aren't wides, and while they don't feel WAY too tight, they are a bit tight.  I can't afford to spend $115 on shoes right now, but I know that my cheap Payless gym shoes aren't gonna cut it much longer.  Should I buy the Asics for now, that are a bit tight width wise (and hope that they stretch from wearing them), or should I just keep wearing the shoes I have now until I can afford to buy the Brooks?  I dont wanna screw my feet/legs up by running in shoes that are too tight, but I also know that wearing cheap shoes with no support can be bad, too.  What do you think? What kind of running shoes do you wear?


EDIT:  I just signed up for my first 5K race!!!!   I'm SOOOO excited and nervous! It's the Girls on the Run 5K, and if you haven't heard of Girls on the Run, it's a program that helps young girls become active. They sign up for the program, they are given some good running shoes, and they train to run/walk the 5k race! The race itself is an untimed race, and it's all about celebrating the girls who completed the program.  I feel like it's the best first race I can run, because I'm worried that I won't quite be ready.  I will, of course, be timing myself, just for my reference, but I won't feel like I am being judged based on my time.  Plus, two of my cousins are doing the program, and they're running the race too! I'm excited! :)
Okay, I'm gonna head to bed, but I will post tomorrow after my run....I'm starting week 5 of c25k tomorrow!  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Can you find wide Brooks online cheaper? There are lots of discount sites out there. I wouldn't buy something that you can't afford... but at the same time you don't want to hurt yourself. I would try bargain hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, got fitted and I was back and forth between a pair of Brooks or Mizunos. I picked the Mizunos (they cost more than the Brooks!) I agree with Bethi...do a bit of bargain shopping. Before I bought my shoes I was running in a cheap pair of Adidas and now my left big toe is giving me problems because I wasn't running in a proper shoe. If they don't fit you well, I wouldn't buy them. Good luck shoe hunting...you will find your glass slipper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't buy them if you can't afford them. I would go back and see if you can find a different (less expensive) pair that feel good. Or you can look online for the Brooks to see if you can find them cheaper. If you only need a neutral shoe, you should have a lot more options. I'm an over pronator so I need a stability shoe. I wear Nike + Structure 15.

    I'm also doing GOTR in my town! My niece is in the program and I'm running it with her and my SIL. I have heard it's a really fun race!

    When you do a timed race, don't worry about being judged. There are always tons of walkers that do 5k's. Plus, you aren't racing against anyone but yourself! I did my first 5k walking in 56:52 (goal was under an hour) and my second I ran at 44:54 (goal under 45 minutes).

    ReplyDelete