Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Good Intentions don't get you anywhere in life.

I woke up this morning, and once again, didn't wanna go run.  But I knew that if I didn't, I'd regret it...so I got my shoes on and left.  I was about to get on the highway to go to the gym, and I decided that I wanted to try the 20 minute run, and that the best way to do that would to be running outside.  I was afraid that the track at the gym would get me way too bored and I wouldn't have anything to focus on other than the fact that I was running for 20 minutes, and I wanted to stop.  The problem is, I didn't know where to go.

So, I drove down the street.  I want to figure out what my pace is, so I was excited that I'd be outside and my GPS would work on my phone, and I could use the mapmyrun app to figure all that out.  I drove down one of the side roads that is a few miles from my house, off of the busy road, and drove.  I was hoping to find somewhere that I could park, but there really wasn't any. So I parked my car along side of the road, next to a field.  I was worried that I'd get yelled at for parking there, but I don't think anyone really cared.

So, I got all my stuff out, and got out of the car.  I decided I'd stick kind of close to my car, just in case someone wanted me to move it, I could do so pretty easily.  I started my c25k app, and the mapmyrun app, and pandora, which is generally what I do when I go to the track.  I did my warm up, and started running (and I still can't figure out why the countdown only had me running for 8 minutes, before it started a cool down?). I was doing the run/walk intervals, where I'd run for 90 seconds, walk for 30, hoping that would help me get through the entire 20 minutes.  Well, I did 8 minutes, it had me starting my cool down for some reason.  And basically, it was hell.  I know that I'm having trouble with the 2 8-minute intervals, but at least I can generally run one of the two intervals!  I had such a hard time running.  I don't know if it was the cool air, or the wind, or the uneven ground, or a mixture of all of that, but my lungs were burning so bad.  I was coughing like I've been a smoker for the last 25 years.  I still am coughing like crazy and my chest hurts.  And, I got stopped by 2 different cars, asking me if I needed a ride.  They saw my car and thought that my car had broken down and that I needed a ride.  And then, somehow I hit a button on my phone, and it closed down the c25k app!  I was so frustrated by this time that I walked to my car, and started to cry, and went home.

I just feel so defeated.  I want to be as proud of myself as I was when I did the 5 minute run.  I dont know if I'm doing so badly because I am slacking, or if changing up my running environment is messing with me, or what the deal is.  I decided I'm going to get back to a regular schedule.  Every other day, doing my run.  I have been slacking a bit, when it comes to my schedule.  Instead of running every other day, I've been running every 2-3 days.  I'm sure that's part of the problem.  I need a way to make myself feel motivated again.

Sorry if my blog is becoming more depressing than inspiring.  I love having you all read this, and give me advice. I am listening to your advice and it is helping me so much! If it weren't for you guys, I'd probably stop by now!! So THANK YOU!

5 comments:

  1. Don't get yourself down...you got out there and run today and that in itself is great! You WILL get better and you WILL get past this. I'm cheering you on from Georgia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like, Jen said, you got out there and did it!

    Don't let bad runs defeat you! You are the one in control and you will make it happen!

    Are there any parks in your area that you can run at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have our moments and the fact that you are still trying is inspiring! As for running outside its a bit different and you just have to get use to it, but that will come. I usually use mapmyrun before hand on the computer just so I have a general idea of where I am and where to go so that I end up back to my car or home after the right distance.

    You'll make it love, and you have a cheerleader in California waving you on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up! Keep trying! I've been on the same week for a couple now too. When you run how do you control your breathing? I've found that's the key to me going for longer times. I read a couple websites to learn how to keep it under control. Try googling all the options to see if that helps. You may already do this. Just a thought.

    You'll get it down! Also I like running in town or around the park (when no one is there :) ) I like different scenery to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your running sounds AMAZING to a walker like me... so just remember that you are always a few steps ahead of the person behind you (me). Keep at it girl. Because your good intentions did get you out and running... you will break through this!

    ReplyDelete